- 4 cans quality San Marzano plum tomatoes
- 1 med. onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley with stems removed
- 1 litre chicken stock (more may have to be used)
- 1 or 2 whole chipotle peppers (depending on taste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Heavy cream (35%)
- Pour the olive oil into a pot on medium high heat.
- Saute the onions and garlic until just soft - don't let them brown.
- Add the chipotle and break it up with a wooden spoon.
- Pour in the tomatoes. Rinse each can with the chicken stock and add to the pot.
- Add the parsley.
- Bring the soup to a boil and then turn it down to a medium high and let it gently boil for about 30 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent the burning on the bottom.
- Remove from heat and puree, either with an immersion blender of in the food processor. If using a processor you may have to strain it out after to make sure it is smooth.
- Put the soup back on a low heat and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the second chipotle if needed and puree again.
- Whisk the cream into a thick consistency (whipped cream) with no sugar added.
- When ready to serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top each with a dollop of cream to stir in.